If you’ve always wanted to start drinking matcha, but were intimidated by the tools and process involved, fret not! This simple, five-step recipe will allow you to easily make your morning matcha without any special brewing equipment.
All you need is:
- A stainless steel thermos or airtight heat-resistant container
- A teaspoon (or chashaku matcha scoop)
- Matcha (we recommend our Komorebi Matcha if you’re a beginner)
And here’s how you do it:
- Using the spoon or chashaku, scoop 2 teaspoons (or 4 chashaku scoops) of matcha into your thermos.
- Heat water to 170-180 °F.
- Pour about 5 ounces (150ml) of hot water into the thermos. You can add more water if you prefer a thinner matcha, or less if you like it thicker.
- Screw on lid and shake vigorously for 45 seconds.
- Pour into a cup or drink straight from the thermos. Optional: add milk of your choice and/or honey (we adore Gold Tap) to soften the flavor.
To make iced matcha, simply follow the same steps, but replace hot water with cool water, and serve over ice.
And, that’s it, folks! Super easy matcha made without tools and in just a minute!
Learn more about matcha and browse our matcha recipes here.